Parshat Bereshit: The Blessing of the Birds

In Bereshit, the very first parsha in the book of Genesis, the world comes into being through G-d’s power of creation. First there is the separation of the Light from the Dark, and then the division of Heaven and Earth. Next comes the land, sea and vegetation, and then the sun, moon and stars. After four days of miraculous feats, G-d brings forth fish and birds, and for the first time, uses the technology of saying a Blessing to affirm these first living creatures.


Genesis 1:20-23 says:
וַיֹּ֣אמֶר אֱלֹהִ֔ים יִשְׁרְצ֣וּ הַמַּ֔יִם שֶׁ֖רֶץ נֶ֣פֶשׁ חַיָּ֑ה וְעוֹף֙ יְעוֹפֵ֣ף עַל־הָאָ֔רֶץ עַל־פְּנֵ֖י רְקִ֥יעַ הַשָּׁמָֽיִם׃

God said, “Let the waters bring forth swarms of living creatures, and birds that fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky.” 
וַיִּבְרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֔ים אֶת־הַתַּנִּינִ֖ם הַגְּדֹלִ֑ים וְאֵ֣ת כָּל־נֶ֣פֶשׁ הַֽחַיָּ֣ה ׀ הָֽרֹמֶ֡שֶׂת אֲשֶׁר֩ שָׁרְצ֨וּ הַמַּ֜יִם לְמִֽינֵהֶ֗ם וְאֵ֨ת כָּל־ע֤וֹף כָּנָף֙ לְמִינֵ֔הוּ וַיַּ֥רְא אֱלֹהִ֖ים כִּי־טֽוֹב׃ 
God created the great sea monsters, and all the living creatures of every kind that creep, which the waters brought forth in swarms, and all the winged birds of every kind. And God saw that this was good.
וַיְבָ֧רֶךְ אֹתָ֛ם אֱלֹהִ֖ים לֵאמֹ֑ר פְּר֣וּ וּרְב֗וּ וּמִלְא֤וּ אֶת־הַמַּ֙יִם֙ בַּיַּמִּ֔ים וְהָע֖וֹף יִ֥רֶב בָּאָֽרֶץ׃ 
God blessed them, saying, “Be fertile and increase, fill the waters in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.”
וַֽיְהִי־עֶ֥רֶב וַֽיְהִי־בֹ֖קֶר י֥וֹם חֲמִישִֽׁי׃ 
And there was evening and there was morning, a fifth day.



Why was it that G-d chose to make the first blessing after creating fish and birds? Wasn’t the appearance of the sun and the moon and the stars just as miraculous, and the divine division of Heaven and Earth equally awe-inspiring? I don’t have the answer for those mysterious questions, but I do know in my heart why birds are a blessing. 

In the days right after my dad died, my mom started to see red cardinals appear outside her living room window. After more than 50 years of marriage, my mom missed my dad to her core. Seeing the birds, day after day, felt like a gift, a blessing, as if they were messengers from my dad flying down from heaven to say hello. Our family wasn’t very interested in nature, or the natural world, but over time, each sighting of the red cardinal became a reminder of my dad and provided a moment of gratitude for the quick but meaningful visit. 

Seven years after my dad died, my mom went to heaven too. And suddenly, we began to see blue jays everywhere. I wasn’t surprised she paid us visits all decked out in blue. While still walking on earth, my mom was usually wearing some combination of blue jean material…pants, shirt, shoes; even one of her favorite purses was made of denim. I missed my mom to my core, and always felt her love, always felt blessed, when a blue jay alighted somewhere close by.

In the years since my parents have been gone, I have often sensed their presence around me. I have also begun to practice mindful meditation. In addition to sitting meditation, I have found walking in nature to be meditative, and healing as well. Thich Nhat Hanh, a Buddist Monk and meditation teacher says, "The practice of mindful walking is a profound and pleasurable way to deepen our connection with our body and the earth. We breathe, take a mindful step, and come back to our true home.”

We have recently moved to Boulder, Colorado from the Midwest, and hiking in the mountains is the favorite local pastime. Bears and moose have been sighted out on our hikes, and the bird life here is new to us too. Recently, while walking in a stunning valley path with big, rocky hills hovering on both sides, I stopped in my tracks when I came across a dramatic black and white bird I have never seen before. It was a black-billed Magpie.
 
These birds, and their color contrast, got me thinking about the notion of blessings, and how there really is nothing black and white, nothing definitive, about the nature of blessings. Something will happen — we land the job we always wanted, or we meet the person we think is our soul mate -- and we are certain it is going to lead to wonderful things for us. Instead, sometimes things do not turn out well and can even end up feeling more like a curse than a blessing. And then there are times when hard or painful things happen, but over time, surprising silver linings appear. We find that there can be positive aspects that come from life’s hardest chapters.

When I was a kid, and even as a young woman, the thought that my life could go on after both my parents were gone seemed impossible to believe. I was sure I would be devastated, and I was, after each loss. But now, many years later, I have come to understand that there is an openness and freedom to my life that has filled in the vast void that was created when they died. I miss them still, of course, but my life has taken so many wonderful twists and turns that I probably wouldn’t have explored if I still had aging parents to consider. 

What is a bless and what is a curse? Neither is ever black and white, like that beautiful Black-billed Magpie that crossed my path recently. Instead, it is up to us to decide, and most importantly, to have the patience to see how all the events in our lives— good and bad — evolve over time. G-d may have created the world in 6 days, but for us, it can take quite a lot longer to see a glimmer of the wholeness of our lives.

Kavannah

Take some time in nature to walk and take in the beauty that surrounds you. Breath in the air, soak up the sights, listen deeply to the sounds all around you as you make your way in a forest, on a beach, or around the block in your neighborhood. It doesn’t matter. Whereever you find your self, there is natural life to behold. Walk a bit slower than usual, and with more intention. Feel your footsteps as they make contact with the earth, and slowly rise to take a step. Let your mind slow as you focus on your breath. Breath in the air that you share with the birds and the trees all around you, then slowly breath out a blessing for it all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lech-Lecha: Go Forth To Boulder

There With Care